Sunday, March 7, 2010



Mad Men
. Kim Novak in Vertigo. 1990's Prada revival. Librarian chic. If that sounds a bit all over the place, it's because I'm not really sure where to focus with this collection. I'm thinking a little harder about Prada than some other labels simply because it's Prada and there's usually some sort of intellectual bent in her collections. My first reaction was that it felt TOO Prada, too easy and nothing new. Then I appreciated it's maturity. This is for a woman, not a trendy 20 year old. I do see a subtle reference to the curvy silhouettes of Mad Men and the 1960's, which seems like an easy attempt to qualify this as socially relevant yet retro at the same time. Can't we use another decade to comment on sexist stereotypes? Or is the reference to the 60's instead of the pervasive 70's elsewhere in fashion another statement in itself? I'm still scratching my head, which may be the sign of a successful collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment